Friday 23 March 2012

Parenthood (1989)

I found this movie to be quite hilarious and pretty much applicable in my life.


I liked the intro scene where it depicted Gil having the thought that he wants to be a better father
and not be like his father who did not cared for him when he was a child.

I do have some of these thoughts that crossed my mind once in a while. 
I do tell myself that if I were ever to be a parent,
I would avoid doing certain things that my parents did to me.
Like for example, I would encourage them to exercise and I will personally exercise with them.
Thus, making it to be our family culture.

Apart from that, I also liked how a parents love towards their own children was depicted in the movie.
Despite all the crazy, nonsensical, troublesome things that their children do,
as a parent, they will stand by their children through thick and thin.
Even the "bad father" (Frank) at the end was willing to save Larry from being killed
by using his own savings and sacrifice his intention from retiring.

It always amazes me that my parents were able to pull through all those crazy, 
difficult times that I put them through.
It amazes me even more that they still can have so much love for me despite all that!
I do wonder at times if I become a parent, 
will I be able to love my child who may end up being like me when I was younger or maybe even worst?
That thought actually scares me at times - cause I might just do something stupid 
and traumatized my child for life!!

The final thing that caught my interest is the different parenting styles that can be seen.
1. Authoritative: Gil & Karen on Kevin, Taylor, and Justin
2. Authoritarian: Suzan & Nathan on Patty
3. Permissive: Helen on Julie and Garry
4. Neglect: Larry on Cool

For me, I have only experienced the first two and I truly thank God that it is only those two!!
I realized that as a child, my parents were pretty much very authoritarian.
Everything must go their way, and DO it their way - no questions asked!

Though I hated it as a child, but I guess it did bring some benefits as I was
very well-behaved/obedient when out with family or parent's friends which made my parents proud 
as they would not stop complimenting about it.
It definitely made things easier for my parents; they just rode the "merry-go-round."

Then, when we were more mature and able to think logically and rationally,
they slowly became more authoritative.
I realized that they were much more lenient about the things I want to do.
They would also discuss with me about the possible consequences of my actions
which helped me to improve my decision making skills.
Overall, I guess my parents did a great job in bringing me up
as I am well-adjusted and can work with almost everyone.

Conclusion:
Overall, this movie is entertaining to watch and it amazes me that 
Steve Martin still looks the same back then and in his later movie (e.g. cheaper by a dozen).
It does also make one wonder, what kind of parenting style would he/she want to adopt.

At first sight looking at Nathan teaching Patty all those knowledge at such a young age is like the best thing
ever in an Asian context where education is EVERYTHING & beating your aunt's/uncle's children
your mum's/dad's friends children and their friends friend children in terms of grades is like the 
ULTI-MAIN GOAL in life!!

It would of course be great if a parent is able to get their child 
to be good socially and yet be a super genius!! 
I would opt for that!! =D

Memorable quote:
"You need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car 
- hell you need a license to catch a fish!
But they'll let any butt-reaming a**hole be a father"
Tod, Parenthood (1989).

No comments:

Post a Comment