Monday 5 March 2012

The Castle (1997)

Well, to start off, I found this movie to be quite unique.
Reason's simple - It was suppose to be a comedy -
but I didn't really found it to be humorous accept for TWO scene!
(I literally counted the number of times I laughed & realized that I only laughed in TWO scenes)



That aside, to me, this movie had quotes which spoke to me and nearly moved me to tears.
Because I can really relate to it at this point of time

My story:
Moving away from the orchard to another house back in my mum's hometown.
The orchard was where I spent most of my holidays at as a child until now.
Seen it progress year after year - from a small shady house to a very solid, big house.
Both of which were built & designed by my family members (grandma, grandpa and uncle).

After watching this show, I do regret now that I did not keep cherishing this orchard.
As I actually began hating going back to the orchard cause it was inconvenient and not comfortable.
It was filled with all sorts of bugs, snakes and having to suffer the horrible heat without air-con.
This caused some degree of stress to me.

Now that it has been sold - I suddenly realized that I should have not come to hating it
but it's too late for that now since we will be officially moving this weekend.

My thoughts: Though the memories will remain with me in my heart,
it still s*cks that the orchard is no more & that I was not able to truly cherish it until the very end!!

Quote 1: A home is build on love and memories.
This is a very powerful quote to me.
It explains to me why this moving is impacting me quite a bit.
It's cause I realized that I don't see the orchard as just another place that we live in.
But I see the orchard as a place filled with memories and experiences that I cherish.
I feel as though these memories will perish together with the orchard once we leave it forever.

I really do hope that I will be able to take a final beautiful album of the orchard
when I go back this weekend as it will indeed be the last time I will ever see it.
Hopefully, that will help the memories to remain strong in my mind.

Quote 2: The land is their story.
I really do agree with the quote.
Cause right now, I can really think back of the different places
in the orchard and in each of these places there is a story/event that can be told.
It is indeed like a 4-D storybook.
It is sad that our future generation will not be able to experience and
see for themselves the places that these events happens.


Theme 1: Pressing on until the end!!
I find it so amazing that Daryl really fought all the way to protect his house.
Despite failing TWICE - He did not give up hope!
Despite being told TWICE that his case was not strong enough - He persisted on!!
If I could have a pinch of persistence that Daryl had, I would be jumping for joy!! 

I would really want to build this characteristic in me!
I realized that I do easily give up once I failed in doing something the first few times.
This has made me loose out a lot in several activities & I do regret not persisting on to perfect some of them.

Theme 2: Stay true to your principles!!
In this world, there are many ways that can tip us of from our principle;
strongest of all would of course be MONEY!!
That's how corruption and all the other nonsense starts!
But it is important that one be able to hang on to one's principle dearly
as that is what will make the individual stand out from the rest, in other words - being unique!

People may do lots of terrible thing to make an individual let go of his/her principle,
but if one is able to withstand it all, people will respect that individual at the end of the day
for not faltering away from his/her principle.
It does take a lot of strong-will to be true to one's principle, but if one is able to pull it off
it is definitely something to be proud about!

Conclusion:
Overall, this movie thought me a couple of things
and has opened my eyes to understand my feelings towards my family's orchard.
But if it's humor that one is looking for, perhaps not this movie; there are better one's out there.

P.S~ I still find Farouk's sayings very funny! 
[These were the scenes that made me laughed]

"He say plane fly overhead, drop value. I don't care. 
In Beirut, plane fly over, drop bomb. I like these planes."


"You have friend, I have friend. 
My friend go to your house, 
put bomb under your car and 
blow you to f**king sky!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment