Sunday 4 March 2012

The Sixth Sense (1999)

I am not a big fan of horror movies (and never will be...)
but surprisingly, this horror movie ain't that bad!
It was not as terrifying as I expected it to be.
But I would most probably not watch it again.


So, I realized that while watching the movie,
Half the time, I was bracing for the unexpected to happen
especially after Cole told Dr. Malcolm that he sees dead people.
That's when all the creepy looking "dead" people starts appearing.
Thankfully, there were only a few of them that were scary looking!

My thoughts of the movie:

1. The cliche yet effective horror technique!
Like any other horror movie, they often portray scary happenings at night.
And usually happens behind our backs where it is out of our visual field.
To intensify the whole situation, the piece of music played usually starts subtly and gets louder when approaching a particular place where the "horrifying character" is at.
It ends with a loud bang once the "horrifying character" appear (which causes one to jump from his/her sit).

Despite these being used over & over again in horror films - I can't seem to habituate to it!
It gets me every time and the music will replay in my head over & over
when I am in a somewhat similar situation as the movie.

2. Cole's Red tent.
In this movie, it was shown that the red tent symbolizes Cole's refuge from these "dead" people.
We saw that in the tent it was filled with statues of Jesus Christ
which shows that religion is a strong factor to feel safe and protected.
This is something that I can really relate to! and it is effective for me
because it helps to calm myself down and be brave.

When I saw this scene - I could really see myself in that situation!!
And yes - through prayers - I will be able to go to the toilet without much fear! =D

3. The interesting Twist in the story.
I really REALLY TRULY enjoyed the twist in the story line.
I totally did not see that coming and was in shock when it was revealed!
It was definitely clever of them to make Cole feeling comfortable talking to Dr. Malcolm
but freaked out really terribly when encountering with the other dead people.
This really made me think that Dr. Malcolm was still alive.

Overall
I enjoyed the second half of the movie when the dead people were not looking creepy anymore;
and when the story unveiled Dr. Malcolm's true status. It was indeed a unique way to end the movie.


For those of you who enjoyed this whole thing about having sixth sense and NOT wanting to see creepy bloody people walking around - this is the comedy version:

Ghost Town (2008).

No comments:

Post a Comment