Monday 27 February 2012

Mississippi Burning (1988)

To start off, I found this movie to be interesting yet quite disturbing! (I blame it on my high empathy personality)

So, this movie is based on the true event of the three civil rights movements 
that got murdered and the story build up from there.

Here are some of my thoughts of the movie:

1. The capability of Cruelty in humans.
When I was watching the movie, it got me thinking,
how is it that they are able to conduct such cruel acts without thinking twice or feeling any sense of guilt?
Does it not cross their mind that those behaviors are inhumane?
What is it that drove them to do those acts? - What do they gain from doing it?

Perhaps it's the thought that being superior than another person (in this case another race)
makes them feel secure of themselves.

Another reason could be a fear of change; at that time the civil rights movement were fighting to allow the African Americans equal chance to vote & have a salary.
This equality was seen as a threat, & it could be that the White Americans
were afraid that this equality would affect the current people who were in power.
Thus, they go all out to stop this and it led to cruel acts.

2. Charisma is a powerful skill.
I also realized that charisma is a very powerful tool.
It can make any individual easily persuaded to anything that the individual is saying;
even if the message given is about harming people and being cruel.
It's easy to believe someone when they speak with such confidence that it makes one think he/she is right!
I would have most probably fallen for it too - especially when the people I am with also seems to agree and go along with what is going on.

Overall:
I did not really enjoy this movie cause I could not take the level of cruelty that was done towards the African American. I felt that the show was really long and quite tormenting to watch.
But at least it gave me some insight of what the African American had to go through - and it's really terrifying! Always having to live in constant fear that you might be attack at anytime is horrifying!!
The only part I enjoyed was seeing justice served~ They really do deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment